Don’t Suffer in Silence

Abuse comes in many shapes and forms. Here in Lancashire there are specific policies and procedures for dealing with suspected cases of Abuse and we at Pendle Support & Care Services follow the Safeguarding Adults Procedures – more information is contained below:


What does Safeguarding Adults mean?

Every day abuse of adults at risk goes unreported. Safeguarding adults means that local authorities, police and NHS agencies involved with adults who might be at risk of abuse have a duty of care to ensure that procedures are in place, that encourage reporting of suspected abuse, and take action to stop the abuse.

Who might be at risk?

sexual assault, rape; inappropriate touching/molesting; pressurising someone into sexual acts they don’t understand or feel powerless to refuse.

What is abuse?

When someone’s human and civil rights are violated by someone elseA single or series of actions of abuseDeliberately or unknowingly causing harmFailure to protect people from abuse.

What are the different types of abuse?


Hitting, shaking, biting, grabbing, withholding food or drink, force-feeding, wrongly administering medication, unnecessary restraint, failing to provide physical care.


Sexual assault, rape, inappropriate touching/molesting, pressurising someone into sexual acts they don’t understand or feel powerless to refuse.

Emotional & Psychological

Verbal abuse, shouting, swearing, threatening, abandonment, isolating, removing privacy, bullying, intimidation, blaming, controlling or humiliation.

Financial or Material

withholding money or possessions; theft of money or property; fraud; intentionally mismanaging finances; borrowing money and not repaying.


Withholding food, drink, heating, and clothing, failing to provide access to heath, social and educational services, ignoring physical care needs or failing to ensure adequate supervision.

Discriminatory Abuse

slurs, harassment, and maltreatment because of someone’s race, gender, disability, age, faith, culture, or sexual orientation.

Institutional Abuse

the use of systems and routines which neglect a person receiving care. This can happen in any setting where formal care is provided.

FREE Lancashire Safeguarding Adults

Multi-Agency Policy & Procedure PDF

Where does abuse happen?

Abuse can happen anywhere: In a person’s own home and/or other people’s homes, In public places or in the community, At workSchools and colleges of further educationIn hospitals, surgeries or other health centres, Care homesDay centres

Who abuses?

Anyone can abuse, often it can be the person you least expect: Spouse/partnerCarers and Care WorkersFamily member/relativeFriendNeighbourVolunteer helperSomeone not known to the person

What to look out for?

Possible changes in the persons behaviour or mood/personalityUnexplained injury or a series of injuriesSigns of fear or distressSigns of neglectTheft, fraud or unexplained financial worries

 Lancashire County Council – Information on Safeguarding Adults

Who can I tell?

Adult Social Services

0300 123 6720

Safeguarding Adults

0845 053 0028

Lancashire Police

0845 1 25 35 45

Health or Social Care Staff

Social Worker, Nurse, Doctor or Therapist

Someone you Trust

Ask them to report the matter for you.

What will happen?

If you tell health or social care staff, they will take your concerns seriously, make sure that the person is safe, help the person to get medical treatment if needed. Involve the police if a crime is suspected. Involve other staff to investigate and protect the person being abused.

What happens if I report a suspected abuse?

You do not have to give your name, but if you do, it will not be given to the people involved. All suspected incidents of abuse will be investigated fully and appropriately.

To Top